In 1871 Cox Geelen was originally founded as a decorative architectural forge by Theodorus Hubertus Cox. Theo Cox was born on 18 June 1842 at Roermond.
His first pieces of metalwork were the large iron spiral staircase and the iron fencing around the cathedral’s garden. At the end of the 19th century Theodorus had a new house and factory built in Roermond, situated at the so-called “Canonwall”. In this new factory he started the production of pipes and elbows for stoves and kitchen-ranges.
On 30 October 1915 when Theo Cox passed away after a long illness, he could not have foreseen that Cox Geelen would develop to such strengths from such humble beginnings.
His sons Henricus and Karolus ran the company until in 1935 at which time Henricus became sole proprietor. His son Hubertus also joined the company in 1935 at the age of 23 and was destined to become the successor of the family-owned company.